Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Skip to access and inclusion page Skip to search input

What is covered by my landlord insurance policy

Insurance is about protecting the investment you've worked hard for. You want to be sure you can get it back on track if the unexpected happens.

You can check how the cover works in these common situations, or call 1300 650 255, 8am - 7pm Monday to Friday or 9am - 2pm Saturday (Sydney time).

Is my property covered while my tenants are away on holidays?

Your building and contents will be covered while your property is unoccupied for up to 60 days. If you become aware your property will be unoccupied, you should make sure that during this time your tenants take all reasonable care to ensure that:

  • All windows and doors are securely locked
  • The home is under the supervision of a responsible person
  • Newspapers and mail are collected regularly
  • Lawns and gardens are kept in a tidy order.

However, call us to advise if your property will be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days and we'll advise you if your cover can continue.

Is my home covered during renovations?

You will need to inform us before the building work commences so we can advise you if your home will be covered and whether there is any change to your policy. Building renovation is defined as altering or moving all or part of any wall, floor, foundation, roof or structural component. It includes a new bathroom or kitchen, or extensions such as additional rooms, outdoor entertaining areas, or a second storey.

Am I covered for legal liability, and what is it?

Legal liability means your legal responsibility to pay compensation for causing the following incidents at the insured address:

  • Injury, illness or death to someone else
  • Loss or damage to property owned or controlled by someone else.

Legal liability cover is automatically included in all building and/or contents policies and covers you and anyone else covered by your policy, for up to $20 million. 

Is my whole property covered?

If you have building cover, it covers residential building(s) on the site which includes structural improvements, fixtures and fittings including: Building cover doesn’t include:

The basics

  • Walls, gates, decks, patios, balconies, paths and driveways
  • Fences.

Fixtures and fittings

  • Permanently fixed domestic items, fixtures and fittings e.g. dishwashers installed in a cabinet, wall-mounted air conditioners
  • Fixed wall and floor coverings other than carpets e.g. wallpaper and tiles (carpets are covered under Contents cover)
  • Floating floor boards
  • Fixed external blinds, awnings and screens (internal window coverings are covered under Contents cover)
  • Equipment permanently connected to gas, plumbing, sewerage, drainage or electrical systems, or communication installations, in all instances for which you own or are legally responsible for e.g. light fittings, alarm systems, kitchen and bathroom fixtures
  • Solar panels.

Home office rooms

  • Rooms within your main residential building(s) used as a home office.

Other structures

  • Structures such as garages, carports, sheds and other domestic outbuildings
  • Permanently fixed swimming pools, saunas, spas and tennis courts, including their fixed fittings and fixed accessories
  • Wharves, jetties and pontoons
  • Tanks that store heating oil, gas or water.

Greenery and outdoor decorations

  • Lawn, landscaping, plants, shrubs, trees or potted plants - unless you have Premier Care cover and they’re covered in Additional benefits
  • Outdoor decorations, water features - unless you have Premier Care cover and they’re covered in Additional benefits.

Business, farming, or blocks over 40,000 square metres

  • Buildings or structures used for business or commercial purposes (other than as a room within the residential building that is used as a home office)
  • Buildings or sites used for farming activity
  • Buildings located on sites exceeding 40,000 square metres.


  • Display homes, guest houses, boarding houses, houseboats, caravans, mobile homes (fixed or freestanding), or shipping containers

Is all the furniture and contents I've provided covered?

If you have contents cover, it covers domestic items that you own or are legally responsible for and which you normally keep in a building at the site, up to your sum insured.

However, there are cover limits on artworks, TV, stereos, VCRs, DVD/Blu-ray players and records. Also contents which are outside - which are only covered in Quality Care, not Essential Care.


Contents cover includes: Contents cover doesn't include:

General household items

  • Furniture, furnishing
  • Kitchenware, manchester, linen
  • Appliances (including unfixed dishwashers)
  • Artwork
  • Fixed and unfixed carpets and rugs
  • Floating floor boards in a home which is part of a strata plan
  • Internal window coverings e.g. blinds, curtains
  • Televisions, stereos, VCRs, DVD/Blu-ray players and records
  • Portable heaters and vacuum cleaners.

Outdoor items

  • Lawn mowers (including ride-on)
  • Items designed for use outside which aren’t permanently fixed (Quality Care Only) e.g. above ground swimming pools, mobile BBQ, outdoor furniture.

Structural additions and improvements

  • Structural additions and improvements to a home which is part of a strata title plan, which are not otherwise insured under the body corporate or equivalent's building insurance policy.

General household items

  • Clothing and personal effects, toys
  • Jewellery, watches, unset stones and unattached charms
  • Collections and collectibles
  • Firearms
  • Portable electronic and communication equipment, desktop and portable computers and computer accessories
  • Navigational equipment
  • Records or data, stored in a computer
  • CDs, DVDs, Blue-ray discs and computer games, including game consoles and accessories
  • Software and downloaded music, musical instruments
  • Sporting equipment.

Personal aids

  • Wheelchairs, mobility scooters, golf buggies
  • Hearing aids, dentures, prosthetics.

Guests’ belongings

  • Guests’ or visitors’ belongings.


  • Motorised vehicles, go-karts, mini-bikes, trail bikes, caravans or trailers
  • Watercraft, aircraft, drones, micro-lights, hang gliders, and their parts and equipment (including model or toy aircraft)
  • Unattached motor vehicle and marine pleasure craft accessories and parts.

Greenery and animals

  • Lawn, landscaping, plants, shrubs, trees
  • Animals.

Business items

  • Trade stock and other contents relating to a business
  • Property used in connection with a home office
  • Tools and other equipment of trade.


  • Any structure or property that’s included in the definition of building
  • Bullion
  • Money, documents, negotiable financial documents.

Do I need to keep an inventory or proof of my contents?

As a landlord, it's particularly important to keep records of the furnishings and items you've provided for your tenants, and any documents that prove their value, in case you need to make a claim. 

Who is covered by my policy?

Your policy covers anyone named as 'the insured' in your policy schedule or anyone who has an interest in the property.


Things you should know

The information contained in this article is general information only and is not specific to any product.  

It does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and so you should consider its appropriateness, having regard to your personal objectives, financial situation and needs to these factors before acting on it.

Terms, conditions and exclusions apply to any insurance product. Please read the disclosure documents for your selected product or service, including the Terms and Conditions or Product Disclosure Statement, before deciding.

Westpac Retail and Business Banking Financial Services Guide, Credit Guide and Privacy Statement (PDF 85KB)

Landlord Insurance Product Disclosure Statement and Supplementary Product Disclosure Statements (applicable to policies issued or renewed on or after 1 July 2019) (PDF 349KB)

Landlord Insurance Product Disclosure Statement and Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement (applicable to policies initially issued in the period between 30 June 2018 and 30 June 2019; or renewed in the period between 30 July 2018 and 30 June 2019) (PDF 337KB)

Landlord Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (except workers compensation cover where applicable). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement to see if this insurance is right for you.