Insurance is really about confidence. You want to be sure you can get things back to normal, if the unexpected happens. You can check how the cover works in these common situations, or call 1300 650 255, 8am - 8pm, Mon - Fri (Sydney time).
Are my contents covered if I take them outside?
Cover for contents outside your home varies depending on which level of cover you have:
- Essential Care Contents provides no cover for contents outside the building
- Quality Care Contents provides limited cover for contents outside but within the boundaries of the site, for loss or damage caused by the insured events
- Premier Care Contents covers your contents at the site and while temporarily removed elsewhere in Australia, including for accidental loss or damage
- Personal Valuables cover provides cover for various defined valuable items or your own specific items depending on what you arranged, for theft or accidental loss or damage anywhere in Australia and even overseas for up to 90 days.
Is my home covered while I'm away on holidays?
Your building and contents will be covered while your home is unoccupied for up to 60 days. During this time you must take all reasonable care to ensure that:
- All windows and doors are securely locked
- The home is under the supervision of a responsible person
- Newspapers and mail are collected regularly
- Lawns and gardens are kept in a tidy order.
However, call us to advise if your home will be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days and we'll advise you if your cover can continue.
Is my home covered during renovations?
You will need to inform us before the building work commences so we can advise you if your home will be covered and whether there is any change to your policy. Building renovation is defined as altering or moving all or part of any wall, floor, foundation, roof or structural component. It includes a new bathroom or kitchen, or extensions such as additional rooms, outdoor entertaining areas, or a second storey.
Am I covered for legal liability, and what is it?
Legal liability means your legal responsibility to pay compensation for causing:
- Injury, illness or death to someone else
- Loss or damage to property owned or controlled by someone else.
Legal liability cover is automatically included in all building and/or contents policies and covers you anywhere in Australia up to $20 million. It also covers others named on your policy or certain relatives who normally live with you.
Is my whole home covered?
If you have building cover, it covers residential building(s) on the site which includes structural improvements, fixtures and fittings. See the table below for more information.
|Building cover includes
||Building cover doesn’t include|
Fixtures and fittings:
Home office rooms:
Greenery and outdoor decorations:
Business, farming, or blocks over 40,000 square metres:
Are all my contents covered?
If you have contents cover, it covers domestic items that you own or are legally responsible for and which you normally keep in a building at the site.
There are cover limits on a few contents items but you can cover some for higher amounts by listing them within your contents cover, or adding Personal Valuables cover.
|Contents cover includes:||Contents cover doesn't include:|
General household items:
Fixtures and fittings, structural improvements:
Greenery and animals:
Do I need to keep an inventory or proof of my contents?
It's important to keep records of your possessions and any documents that prove their value, in case you need to make a claim. It's also a good idea to keep these records in a safe place away from your home, such as with a family member.
Who is covered by my policy?
Your policy covers:
- Anyone named as 'the insured' in your policy schedule or anyone who has an interest in the property
- Any spouse, de-facto, partner, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild of anyone named as 'the insured' in your policy schedule who normally lives in the home with that person.
If you have Quality Care or Premier Care contents, it also covers property belonging to guests or visitors at the site.
Am I covered for accidental damage?
You're covered for accidental loss and damage when you select Premier Care. Accidental loss and damage means an event causing loss or damage to your property that was not intended and happened by chance without deliberate intent.
Things you should know
*Quote and buy online and save 15% off your annual premium for the first year with promotional code COVER. Plus, save 10% when you combine home and contents at the same address under the one policy.
Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (except workers compensation cover where applicable). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement to see if this insurance is right for you.