Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Skip to accessibility page Skip to search input

Tips for moving out of home

Moving out of the family home for the first time can feel like a liberating experience; however with the freedom also comes greater responsibility. Here are some things to keep in mind before making the big move.

Living with other people

Moving in with people who aren’t your family can take a bit of getting used to. But it can be fun – not to mention easier on your wallet when it comes to splitting expenses compared to living alone. However it’s important to set the ground rules, such as:

  • Who will have which bills in their name? It may be better not to have everything in the name of just one person. You’ll also need to decide how bills will be paid (by direct debit, for example).
  • What will happen if someone moves out early? Who will be responsible for finding someone else to move in? How it will affect the lease?
  • Will you shop and cook together or will you take care of your own groceries?

Taking care of the upfront costs

Moving into a new place involves a heap of new expenses – generally more so if you’re doing it for the first time. Some things you’ll likely need to come up with cash for include:

  • Bond
  • Furniture
  • Kitchenware, etc.
  • Connection fees (internet, electricity, gas etc)
  • Removalist costs.

Start thinking (and planning) for these costs as soon as you can.

What about ongoing costs?

One of the unfortunate realities of living away from home is that bills and expenses just keep on coming. Some of the most likely expenses include:

  • Rent
  • Food
  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Internet
  • Mobile Phone
  • Transport.

It’s always wise to be on the front foot when it comes to knowing what your expenses will be. It might seem dull, but having a good budget can go a long way to ensuring you maintain your financial independence without falling behind (check out our guide to setting up a budget).

Bought new gear to furnish your pad? Insurance could offer peace of mind

You might not think what you own is worth enough to need insurance, but when you add it all up you could be surprised – particularly if you take into account laptops and other electronic devices. What would happen if the unthinkable occurred, such as a fire, and all your belongings were destroyed? Would you have money set aside to start again?

And if you think you’d be covered by the landlord’s policy – think again. Your landlord’s insurance policy is designed to cover their property; not your belongings.

Fortunately, there are insurance policies designed with renters in mind. Renters Contents insurance provides cover for your personal belongings while living in a rental property. It can also provide legal liability cover should someone become injured while visiting your home, and some policies may offer optional cover for valuables (such as jewellery and electronics) outside of the home. Taking out a contents insurance for renters policy could help put your mind at rest and cost far less than what you’d expect.