Help manages yesterday’s spending
A Large Purchase SmartPlan helps you take control of your credit card debt.
You can use it to plan and manage repayments for eligible large individual purchases of more than $500 on your credit card. With Large Purchase SmartPlan, you can:
- Break down the cost of large purchases into manageable instalments and pay them as part of your regular monthly statement repayment
- Track your progress at any time in Online Banking or the Westpac Mobile Banking app
Find out about other SmartPlans.
What are the benefits of a SmartPlan?
Keep interest-free days
Interest-free days don't apply to cards with balance transfers - unless you use SmartPlan to manage balance transfer repayments.
Start and stop when you need
You can create or cancel a SmartPlan on any credit card balance whenever you need through Westpac Live Online Banking and the Westpac Mobile Banking app.2
Manage up to 8 SmartPlans.
You can use SmartPlan to track and manage as many as 8 separate credit card balances or large purchases at once.
Frequently asked questions
An establishment fee applies to your Large Purchase SmartPlan. The fee is determined from the date your Large Purchase SmartPlan is established. Fees are as follows:
- 1% fee of the eligible amount applies if the Large Purchase SmartPlan is for a 3 month term
- 2% fee of the eligible amount applies if the Large Purchase SmartPlan is for a 6 month term
- 4% fee of the eligible amount applies if the Large Purchase SmartPlan is for a 12 month term
- Any establishment fee will be added to the value of the eligible amount when you set up a Large Purchase SmartPlan.
You will have to pay a minimum repayment for each Large Purchase SmartPlan (or other SmartPlan) you have on your credit card each month in addition to the minimum repayment on your statement.
There are no fees for missing a Large Purchase SmartPlan repayment, but the late payment fee on your credit card (and any interest applicable to your Large Purchase SmartPlan balance) still applies. To avoid this, you’ll still need to pay at least the minimum payment due on your statement by the due date each month. Missing your minimum monthly payment will automatically cancel any Large Purchase SmartPlan(s) (or other SmartPlan) you have set up on your credit card account.
The Monthly Payment Balance is the sum of all SmartPlan Repayments due in that month’s statement plus your Main Account Balance (being the part of your balance not covered by SmartPlan).
The Monthly Payment Balance is less than the closing balance as it doesn’t include the SmartPlan Remaining Balance, which you will pay off over the term of your SmartPlan.
When you have a SmartPlan on your account, you need to pay the Monthly Payment Balance and SmartPlan repayment by the due date each month to maintain interest free days on new purchases, if applicable.
You can make additional repayments but they will be applied to your Main Account Balance on your credit card before your Large Purchase SmartPlan (or other SmartPlan) balance(s). Once your Main Account Balance is paid off, any additional repayments will be applied to your Large Purchase SmartPlan (or other SmartPlan).
At the end of the Large Purchase SmartPlan term, any remaining Large Purchase SmartPlan balance will be transferred to your Main Account Balance and will accrue interest in accordance with the Combined Conditions of Use and Credit Guide.
Only primary cardholders can create or cancel a Large Purchase SmartPlan (or other SmartPlan) in Westpac Live or using the Westpac Mobile Banking app. Additional cardholders may view the details of any SmartPlan at any time.
Things you should know
- SmartPlan requires monthly payments to be made for the term calculated and at the applicable interest rate when the SmartPlan is entered into. All payments made to your account will be applied first to any SmartPlan instalments. Therefore debts accruing a higher interest rate maybe left unpaid during the SmartPlan term. See SmartPlan for more details.
- Discounted rates may not apply to cards with existing promotional rates. Discounted rates will not apply to Westpac Lite Visa cards.
- SmartPlan cancellation takes up to 2 business days. Any SmartPlan Remaining Balance will revert to the variable interest rate for your balance type or special offer rate as applicable.
- SmartPlan is only available on eligible purchases. See for more information.
- Establishment fees apply and will be confirmed for any SmartPlan offered to you.