Disaster Relief Package
Westpac announces support for WA customers impacted by Cyclone Seroja
Westpac has rolled-out its emergency assistance package for households and businesses affected by the severe weather events in Western Australia.
Disaster Relief Package
Depending on the nature of disasters, our Disaster Relief Packages generally offer the following:
Home loan and insurance customers
- Affected customers with Westpac home loans may apply to defer repayments for up to three months.
- Affected Westpac customers with Home and Contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance including emergency funds and temporary accommodation. Contact us to find out if you are eligible or to make a claim.
- Affected Westpac customers with Car insurance can make a claim online 24/7
Affected Westpac customers may be eligible to receive waivers to their premiums.
Credit cards, term deposits and personal loans
- Affected credit card customers may apply to defer repayments to their card for up to 90 days.
- Customers wishing to purchase replacement goods may apply for a personal loan at a discounted interest rate with no establishment fee.
- Westpac will waive interest rate adjustments for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits.
- Customers experiencing severe hardship may also be offered a halt on all interest accrual on unsecured credit products for a period of up to three months.
- Affected businesses with existing loans can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank establishment fees.
- Affected business customers with merchant facilities are eligible to receive assistance including monthly terminal access fee waivers for up to three months. Contact us to find out if you are eligible on 1800 029 749.
- SME Recovery Loan Scheme - We welcome the new Federal Government SME Recovery Loan Scheme to further help Australian businesses recover and grow. The new scheme will provide targeted support, and also helps provide a funding bridge to give businesses affected by COVID-19 more time to recover.
What to do after an emergency
- Westpac customers who are suffering hardship as a result of disasters are encouraged to contact Westpac Assist.
- Phone: 1800 067 497 (8:30am to 7:30pm Monday to Friday EST) 9:30 to 6:00pm on Saturday or apply online for financial hardship assistance.
- Or visit their local Westpac Branch to discuss their circumstances and the financial relief that may be available.
- If you have been affected by a Natural Disaster, such as bushfires, floods, cyclones, you could also make an insurance claim.
In addition to the immediate relief packages, we also offer longer term support for customers and we are collaborating at a national level at ways we can help build more resilient communities in the face of inevitable future natural disasters.
Drought Assistance Package
The Westpac Group remains committed to helping customers who are affected by drought and natural disasters.
In response to the exceptional drought circumstances affecting many Australians, we will be extending our ongoing support to existing customers under a new Drought Assistance Package. We have committed $100 million to support our farmer and agribusiness customers.
For more information read about our Drought Assistance and Disaster Relief.
Natural Disaster Recovery Fund
In October 2013, we established a Natural Disaster Recovery Fund from which we offer grants to help Australian communities in the long term recovery process.
Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities
Since 2012 Westpac has been a member of Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities. We have been working together with other businesses to collaborate with all levels of government to encourage greater investment to reduce the impacts of natural disasters and make our communities safer.