- Bank of NSW, the predecessor of Westpac Group, launched the first disaster relief fund in Australia to help victims of the Hawkesbury River flood in NSW.
- Established the Buckland Fund (which later became Westpac Foundation) to help families of deceased bank employees.
- One of nine founding members of the United Nations Environment Program Finance Initiative (UNEPFI).
- First bank in Australia to publish an environmental policy.
- First bank to join the Australian Greenhouse Challenge to measure and manage greenhouse gas emissions.
- Westpac first awarded Federal Government 'Employer of Choice for Women.'
- First Australian bank and one of the first companies to create a formal community volunteering scheme.
- First Australian bank to launch a workplace giving program - 'Matching Gifts'.
- Westpac Foundation was formed (originally the Buckland Fund) to provide grants to not-for-profit organisations throughout Australia.
- Founding signatory to the UN Global Compact.
- Published the Social Accountability Charter, subsequently revised and expanded as Westpac's Principles for Doing Business.
- Launched the first Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) product in Australia.
- Formation of Westpac Board Social Responsibility Committee to consolidate Board oversight of sustainable business practices.
- First Australian environmental and social ratings process - for the Australian Sustainability Share Fund.
- Founding Partner in the Cape York Indigenous Enterprise Partnership.
- Included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) since 2001.
- First Australian bank to publish a sustainability report.
- Launch of Financial First Steps, a financial literacy program to help young people better manage their money.
- First Australian bank to trade Renewable Energy Certificates.
- One of ten founding signatories to the Equator Principles.
- New Environment Management System developed.
- First Australian bank to establish sustainable supply chain policy and process.
- Formation of the Community Consultative Council as Westpac's peak external stakeholder body.
- Ranked #1 in the Business in the Community Australian Corporate Responsibility Index (also in 2005 and 2006).
- Included in the Carbon Disclosure Project's first Climate Leaders Index (and for the period 2004-2011).
- Alignment of financial and sustainability reporting.
- Enhanced family-friendly policies, including doubling paid parental leave.
- Part of the Australian Business Roundtable on Climate Change that released the groundbreaking ‘The Business Case for Early Action’ report.
- Held one of Australia's first briefings on intangible value for mainstream institutional investors.
- Westpac's first inclusion in the World Economic Forum Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations (also from 2006-2008 and then 2010-2015, including #1 in 2014)
- Endorsed the UN Principles for Responsible Investment.
- Contributed to development of Principles for Responsible Lending.
- Launched Westpac Assist - a specialist team which proactively assists customers with repayment issues, offering solutions to help them manage their debt.
- Longer term sustainability objectives formalised within core business strategy. Launched a five-year climate change strategy.
- Partnered with Many Rivers Microfinance.
- First Australian bank to begin integrating financial and sustainability reporting. Commenced mainstream training on climate-related risk.
- New Group-wide approach to the management of environment, social and governance risk.
- First Australian corporation to offer super on unpaid maternity leave.
- Launch of Australia's first organisational mentoring program to build capacity in the social sector.
- First bank to trade in the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme.
- Lead partner with The Climate Institute's Climate Partners network.
- Included in the Carbon Disclosure Project's first Carbon Performance Leadership Index (and for the period 2010-2012).
- Joined the Australian Indigenous Minority Supplier Council (now Supply Nation).
- First Australian bank to offer accredited financial education to customers and the community through the Davidson Institute.
- Commenced a comprehensive Board-led review of Westpac's approach to sustainability.
- Hosted the first Social and Affordable Housing Forum.
- Joined the Banking Environment Initiative.
- Cofounded the Australian Business Roundtable on Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities.
- Participated in an Australian first - the New South Wales Government social benefit bond which pays a return based on the achievement of agreed social outcomes.
- Released 2013-17 Sustainability Strategy.
- Westpac's Natural Disaster Recovery Fund established.
- Became a signatory to the Soft Commodities Compact through the Banking Environment Initiative.
- Launched the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation (now known as Westpac Scholars Trust).
- Released our third Reconciliation Action Plan (received the highest Elevate status from Reconciliation Australia).
- Ranked #1 in the Global 100 Most Sustainable Companies in the World.
- Announced a ten year agreement to recruit 400 Indigenous Australian university student interns through CareerTrackers.
- Released a revised Climate Change and Environmental Position Statement and 2017 Action Plan.
- Established the Westpac Indigenous Advisory Committee.
- Signed the largest single community housing finance deal to date.
- Brought the first green bond to the Australian market as underwriter of the World Bank's bond.
- Introduced our Social Impact Framework.
- Released a new Human Rights Position Statement and Action Plan.
- Introduced a Financing Agribusiness Position Statement.
- Introduced a new Enterprise Agreement with market leading employee benefits.
- Released a Responsible Investment Statement.
- Westpac's Sydney head office awarded Six Star Green Star rating.
- Introduced our Supplier Inclusion and Diversity Policy.
- First 100 Westpac Scholars appointed by Westpac Bicentennial Foundation (now Westpac Scholars Trust).
- Launched Westpac Businesses of Tomorrow program.
- Launched an Energy Efficiency Finance Program in partnership with Clean Energy Finance Corporation.
- Issued Westpac Climate Bond.
- Westpac celebrated 200 years in business.
- Ranked world’s most sustainable bank in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) for the 10th time.
- Awarded 200 Westpac Foundation Community Grants to Australian local community organisations.
- Launched our third Climate Change Action Plan.
- Launched our fourth Reconciliation Action Plan, our second to receive ‘Elevate’ status.
- Released our second Human Rights Position Statement and Action Plan.
- Released our 2018 – 2020 Sustainability Strategy.
- Ranked among the top 20 most sustainable banks in the world in the 2018 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices.
- Launched the world’s first Green Tailored Deposit to be certified by internationally recognised Climate Bonds Initiative.
- One of 28 banks globally as part of the UN Environment Programme Finance Initiative to launch draft Principles for Responsible Banking.
- Largest financier to greenfield renewable energy projects in Australia over the last 12 months.
- Announced Westpac Foundation 2030 strategy, including commitment to help create 10,000 new jobs and employment pathways for the people that need it most.
- Published the 2020 Customer Vulnerability Action Plan to articulate the Group's principles for engaging with customers experiencing vulnerability.
- Ranked as Australia's most sustainable bank, and ninth globally, in the 2019 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices.
- Committed to source the equivalent of 100% of Westpac’s global electricity consumption through renewable sources by 2025.
- Announced first sustainability linked loan for an Australian airport, rewarding carbon reduction, accreditated through the Airports Council International program.
- Launched a Priority Assist 1800 telephone line across our retail brands to support customers experiencing domestic and family violence and financial abuse.
- Established a dedicated customer care team to support Indigenous Australians in remote communities and a remote Indigenous community pop-up banking program.
- Awarded Westpac Scholars Trust’s 400th scholarship.
- Reached milestone of 900th employee to participate in a 6-12 week Jawun Indigenous community secondment.
- Committed to reduce our lending to thermal coal mining lending exposure to zero by 2030.
- One of 9 companies in Australia to receive the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, recognising Westpac’s commitment and practices supporting gender equality.
- Developed partnerships with International Justice Mission and Save the Children.
- Established the Safer Children, Safer Communities Roundtable made up of experts to guide investments for a program of work to support the prevention of online child exploitation.
- Joined the Australian Banking Association’s (ABA) Corporate Sustainability Working Group to promote the implementation of best practice approaches to Modern Slavery Act reporting within the ABA membership.
- Released our fourth Climate Change Position Statement and Action Plan.
- Released our third Human Rights Position Statement and Action Plan.
- Announced Australia’s first green loan for the superannuation sector.
- Reached the 4500th milestone of supporting Indigenous Australians since the establishment in December 2018 of a dedicated Customer Care team to support remote Indigenous communities.
- Announced 1,000 jobs from overseas to Australia.
- Reached milestone of 950th employee to participate in a 6-12 week Jawun Indigenous community secondment.
- Announced new measures to make digital banking safer for customers, including giving customers the ability to report abusive messages via online and mobile banking, and blocking inappropriate language from outgoing payments.
- $0.5 billion of new lending to climate change solutions (1H21).
- Published our 2020 Modern Slavery Statement in response to the Australian Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth) and the United Kingdom’s Modern Slavery Act 2015 (UK).
- Refreshed our cultural competency training, enabling our people to be able to better support our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander customers.
- Westpac Scholars Trust has awarded 100 new scholarships (1H21).