Accessing your money overseas
Some foreign countries have limited or no access to ATMs. To avoid any problems while travelling, it's a good idea to have other options available.
Most ATMs in foreign countries allow you to make withdrawals and check account balances. You can access your transaction, savings or credit accounts using a Debit MasterCard ®, Handycard, MasterCard ® or Visa.
You can save a $5 withdrawal fee by using ATMs belonging to the following Global Alliance partners.
- Accessing savings or transaction accounts - use your Debit MasterCard ® or Handycard only (MasterCards ® or Visa cards linked to these accounts won't work)
- Accessing credit accounts - use your MasterCard ® or Visa.
- Accessing savings or transaction accounts - use your Debit
MasterCard ®, Handycard or linked MasterCard ®
- Accessing credit accounts - use your MasterCard ® or Visa
- Foreign cash and travellers' cheques - having foreign cash handy makes it easier to pay for incidental expenses, however travellers' cheques are a more secure and convenient way to carry money.
Westpac branches order foreign cash in 27 currencies, or travellers' cheques in eight foreign currencies. Travellers' cheques can also be ordered online and collected from a Westpac branch or American Express ® office. You can pay for your foreign currency or travellers' cheques online using BPAY ® or over the phone.
What currency can be used
If you are unsure of which foreign cash and travellers' cheques will be needed, call American Express ® wholesale currency services on + 61 1300 133 289.