International travel and payments
Using ATMs overseas
Things to do before you leave
Overseas travel notification
It's a good idea to inform Westpac of where and when you're heading overseas and intend to use ATMs. We'll record your travel details and monitor the security of any accounts or credit cards while you're away.
- Call us on 1300 651 089 or from overseas +61 2 9293 9270
While you can make withdrawals and check account balances using existing Australian cards at most overseas ATMs (as long as you have your PIN), be aware that some foreign countries have limited, or no access to, ATMs at all. So, it's a good idea to have multiple ways of accessing funds when abroad, such as traveller's cheques, foreign currency or credit cards.
All ATMs are not the same
ATM systems can vary between countries, so before leaving home, you also need to have your:
- 4-digit PIN for each card including your credit card
- Accounts linked correctly to the cards you intend using overseas.
Save by using Global Alliance ATMs
You can save a $5 withdrawal fee by using ATMs belonging to the following Global Alliance partners:
|Country||MasterCard/Cirrus ATM network|
|New Zealand||Westpac NZ|
|Fiji, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Solomon Islands||Westpac Pacific Banking|
|France, Italy (under the BNL Brand)||BNP Paribas|
|Germany, Spain, Italy, Poland||Deutsche Bank|
|UK, Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar|
Africa - Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Seychelles, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe
|USA||Bank of America|
Canada, Chile, Guyana, Mexico, Peru
|Ukraine||Ukrsibbank - Private Bank|
ATM fees and charges
The following fees and charges may be charged when using ATMs overseas:
- A $5 fee applies when you withdraw money from ATMs not listed in the table above. However, checking your account balance is free and account balances will be displayed in local currency.
- Some overseas banks may apply a fee for withdrawals. This will be brought to your attention before you proceed with the transaction and can be avoided by using one of our Global ATM Alliance partner ATMs.
- The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee (based on the value of the transaction) is payable and will be incorporated into the $AUD transaction amount shown on your statement. Details of this fee can be found in: Deposit Accounts for Personal Customers Term and Conditions (PDF 1MB).