Westpac as an employer
We are committed to long-term solutions for a better future for all Australians. Our Reconciliation Action Plan revolves around a range of initiatives partnering with Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to meet specific goals, including employment in both urban and remote locations.
Since signing the Australian Employment Covenant in October 2009, Westpac Group has employed 57 Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. Our goal is to employ 100 people before September 2012.
Initiatives are geared to both make a difference at an individual level, and also support the Westpac Group as becoming an "employer of choice" for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander job seekers. Some of our key initiatives are:
- Show Me the Way – A program to support School Based Trainees through virtual mentoring using the first national Aboriginal networking site.
- Career Trackers – We are partnering with this non-profit social enterprise to offer internship and cadet opportunities. This is a multi-year program that includes career planning, cultural awareness and leadership training.
- Financial Services Pre-employment Program – Westpac Group is partnering with other organisations in a pre-employment program for local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander job-seekers and helping to place the graduates in permanent employment.
- School Based Traineeships – Trainees receive a two years industry-specific paid work experience, a relevant nationally recognised certificate qualification as well as a certificate recognising their completion of high school. Some go on to continue work with us.
- Cadetships and Graduate programs – Careers@TheWestpacGroup reaches out to contact sources that help encourage Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people to apply for our programs.
For further information please contact email@example.com.